NEW EXTENDED DEADLINE - DECEMBER 15TH!
Double-Goal Coach Award
PCA's Double-Goal Coach Award is given to youth and high school sports coaches from throughout the U.S. who embody the ideals of the Double-Goal Coach, striving to win, while also pursuing the more important goal of teaching life lessons through sports.
The 50 national award winners will receive $200; a certificate; recognition on PCA's website, newsletters and media campaigns; and the chance to win an all expense paid trip to California to accept the honor during PCA's National Youth Sports Awards & Benefit Sponsored by Deloitte on April 28 in Palo Alto.
Nominations will open for the 2018 Awards on September 1, 2017 and will close on December 15, 2017. Finalists will be announced in February, 2018. Winners will be announced in March/April, 2018.
Questions? Contact PCA's Jennie Wulbrun.
Nominees are assessed on the extent to which they reflect the model of a Double-Goal Coach, whose first goal is winning, and whose second, more-important goal is teaching life lessons through sports. A Double-Goal Coach behaves as follows:
• Takes a mastery approach to sport rather than a scoreboard orientation, teaching athletes to put forward maximum effort, continuously learn and improve, and not let themselves be stopped by mistakes or fear of mistakes.
• Fills Emotional Tanks of athletes, refusing to motivate through fear, intimidation, or shame. Recognizing that a player’s “Emotional Tank,” like the gas tank of a car, must be full in order to go anywhere, the Double-Goal Coach provides a fuel mixed of five specific, truthful praises for every specific, constructive correction.
• Honors the Game by respecting ROOTS (Rules, Opponents, Officials, Teammates, Self).
The Double-Goal Coach Award Selection Committee will select Chapter Winners & National Finalists of the Double-Goal Coach Award. All National Finalists will be announced in February of 2018. National Winners will be announced in March/April of 2018.
Who is Eligible
Any youth sports or high school sports coach in the U.S., who is a current head coach with at least three years’ experience is eligible for PCA’s Double-Goal Coach® Award. PCA staff and Certified PCA Trainers are not eligible for consideration. Coaches can only win this award once but can be nominated and named finalists multiple times.
Completing a Nomination
A nomination is complete when the online nomination form is complete and accompanied by at least one completed reference. At least one reference, and not more than 25, must be submitted for a nomination to be considered complete.
Nominations will open for the 2018 Awards on September 1, 2017 and will close on December 15, 2017.
Learn about Suzie Hoyt, Frankie Jones, Ann Murphy, and Adhir Ravipati, PCA's four National Double-Goal Coach Award presented by TeamSnap. Watch their inspiring tribute videos below:
Ann Murphy, FC Jaguars and Lutheran High School Soccer, Kansas City, MO
Adhir Ravipati, Menlo-Atherton High School Football, Menlo Park, CA
Helpful Program Links
- What is a Double-Goal Coach?
- Printable program flyer
- Media Coverage Of Past Winners
- See Past Winners
- Youth Coaches Like Ann Murphy Deserve To Be Recognized
- Know A Coach That Helps Kids Believe In Themselves? Nominate Now
- When You Call Your Club A "Life Skills Club" You Deserve Recognition
- Coach Like Adhir Ravipati For A Chance To Win The Double-Goal Coach® Award
- FOX Sports' Steve Lavin Congratulates Award Winners On Stage
Watch inspiring tribute videos of last year's winners below:
Suzie Hoyt, Glastonbury High School Swimming, Glastonbury, CT
Frankie Jones, Denver Kings Athletic Club and Training (Basketball), Denver, CO
Caring Coach Award
New this year, our partner Dove Men+Care is joining PCA to celebrate care as a man’s real strength. In addition to the Double-Goal Coach Award, Dove Men+Care and the Target US Youth Soccer United Cup will highlight the impact of soccer coaches’ care on their athletes and communities during their national tournament series.
We will recognize the two (2) youth or high school soccer coaches that made their strongest impact on the next generation by showing care and offering guidance and support on and off the field. In addition to also being eligible for the Double-Goal Coach Award, they will receive a world-class soccer experience.
*All male soccer coaches nominated for the Double-Goal Coach Award will automatically be nominated for the Caring Coach Award. The nomination period for this award closed Nov. 10.